Qualification Number (QN): 601/5579/6
Credit value: 8
Guided Learning Hours: 61
Total Qualification Time (TQT): 80
What is the purpose of this qualification?
The Pearson BTEC Level 1 Award in Principles of Business Administration is designed to provide learners with an introduction to the underpinning knowledge and attitudes required for working within a business administrative services environment. The qualification is suitable for learners who have little or no experience or training in business administration, and so are likely to want a short introductory course to help them better understand the sector in order to support their career choices. The qualification would be suitable for inclusion in a traineeship with a business administration vocational element. It gives learners the opportunity to:
- Develop knowledge of the role of administrators in the context of the wider organisational structure and how they can contribute to environmental sustainability and a safe working environment
- Develop knowledge of the requirements for working in a business administrative job role, including the standards of professionalism, effective team working and the requirements for equality, diversity and confidentiality.
- Achieve a nationally-recognised Level 1 qualification
What does this qualification cover?
This qualification is based on the most up to date National Occupational Standards for the Customer Service Sector as defined by Skills CFA, the Sector Skills Body. The qualification is accredited on the Qualifications and Credit Framework. Learners will need to achieve two mandatory units outlined below before Pearson can award the qualification.
The 2 mandatory or compulsory units are:
- Unit 01: Principles of Working in Business Administration (credit 4, GLH 30)
- Unit 02: Professional Behaviour in a Business Environment (credit 4, GLH 31)
How is this qualification assessed?
This qualification is assessed through internal assessment by your tutor or assessor using a range of methods (written assignments, practical tasks, portfolio of evidence, centre devised assessments etc).
Who could take this qualification?
This qualification is for all learners aged 14-16, 16-18 and 19+ who are capable of reaching the required standards. Learners do not need any prior qualifications, knowledge or experience before starting the qualification. Learners are likely to be those new to their first administrative role, intending to return to work after unemployment, NEET learners, learners on work experience/job placement and those looking to progress into an apprenticeship programme.
What could this qualification lead to?
Learners who have achieved the Pearson BTEC Level 1 Award in Principles of Business Administration could progress on to a Pearson BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Business Administration that develops occupational competency for the potential job roles listed below. Learners could also progress on to Level 2 qualifications in Business Administration, which are designed for learners to develop a broad set of occupational skills and underpinning knowledge when carrying out business administrative related tasks. Qualifications include:
- Pearson BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Business Administration (knowledge and competence qualification)
- Pearson BTEC Level 2 Award in Principles of Business Administration
- Pearson BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Business Administration
- Pearson BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Business Administration (knowledge and competence apprenticeship qualification).
Potential job roles for those working towards this qualification are:
- Trainee Administrator
- Office Junior
- Office Assistant